How to increase engagement of passive Social Media users?

It’s interesting so many people read my posts in WhatsApp groups. But very few like my best friend in school or college likes them or reacts to them! (less than 20% users react while more than 80% users read) 

I wonder why?

Is it because we like posts or respond to them based on who we personally are close to?

That’s what these social sites should try to address. Give everyone an opportunity to express unbiased appreciation not just personal liking. 

I feel social channels should auto prompt a question to every reader of a post...
  • Hey, you read someone’s post, why didn’t you respond or like?
Gmail has started doing it.

When you read someone’s email who spent lot of time writing it, it auto prompts you: 
  • You read someone’s email 3 days ago. But you didn’t respond. Can you reply now?
Yes, I am a bit concerned about what's currently happening on social sites. So, I keep giving suggestions.

Example: When I joined social media, I thought I would make new friends who will appreciate me. Instead, most of the friends I made were already my friends at office, school or my home's neighborhood who only like my posts if I like theirs's.  Or if you are some Bollywood celebrity such as Amitabh or political leader such as Trump.

It’s like what’s the use of social technology if it doesn’t help the common man’s social world lift “incrementally”?

For comparison, 

Google has done a nice job of giving small businesses a chance to compete with big businesses like Walmart or Amazon.

First Example: I have a friend who owns clothing business in Phoenix. His website shows higher in local searches versus several national brands. So, he owns the local market even though he doesn’t spend millions of dollars in marketing or advertising.




Second example.

If you join Netflix and browse all their movies but don’t watch them or watch partially, Netflix will cancel your account after certain time. Because Netflix doesn’t want “disengaged users” even though they are paying users.




Third example.

My bank monitors my transactions in the account they gave me. If I just put money once in my account. But don’t ever touch it or do any other activity for a certain period like a debit card transaction, my account will be shut down permanently and I will have to take my money back. Reason: Banks don’t want dormant accounts even if they have lots of money in them. 




So then why doesn't social media try to re-engage dormant or disengaged users who read someone’s post but never responded?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are political parties leveraging social media effectively?

How to maintain friendship in a WhatsApp group?

What is social media view on hijab in schools?